Before we even started preparing the roast chicken, carrots, brussels and all that trimmings, we were already planning this leftover pie! Since it's only the two of us but we also refuse to give up any part of the dinner on the big day, we needed to make plans for our delicious leftovers! What's better than stuffing and serving layers of leftovers into individual pies? Or if you prefer, chopped everything up and mix them into a mixing bowl before filling the pastry cases! The list below is just what we had to deal with in the next couple of days, but play with other ingredients, such as broccoli, peas, parsnips... whatever you have leftover into the pies.
For the shortcrust pastry
A pinch of sea salt
83g butter, cubed
2 Tbsp cider vinegar or lemon juice
3 - 4 tbsp full fat milk
For the filling (you need, in total, approximately 75 - 100g of stuffing materials per person)
75g roasted chetanay carrots
75g roatsed baby potatoes
75g shredded roast chicken
75g stuffing (we are using chestnut and mushroom stuffing, recipe available here)
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Begin by mixing sifted flour and sea salt in a mixing bowl. Add cubed butter. Using your fingertip only, mix the butter into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add lemon juice / vinegar and milk. Using a knife, mix the dough until it comes together. Form a dough ball using your hand. Cover the dough in clingfilm and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 180C.
3. Slice the carrots, potatoes and stuffing into thin slices.
4. Roll the dough out thinly and line 4 10cm diameter individual pie dish with the pastry. Prick the bottom of the pies with a fork.
5. Fill the pastry case with layers of leftovers. Cover with a pastry cover. Make a cross incission in the middle of each pie to allow steam to escape.
6. Bake the pies in the pre-heated oven for about 30 minutes or until the pastry is lighly golden brown.