For the second time in a row, we are making this chestnut and mushroom stuffing for our Christmas Eve's dinner. Chestnut and cranberries add sweetness and depth to the stuffing, whilst mushroom gives the stuffing a lovely texture (some friends thought it was meat!) instead of using sausages.
As for the actual Christmas day, we will be using all the leftovers (from chicken to stuffing to roasted potatoes and carrots) to make a 3 tiered pies... Watch this space... the recipe will be available in the next 24 hours...
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
A few sprigs of rosemary, leaves and sprigs separated
A small pinch of salt
200g cooked chestnuts, chopped
300g mushroom, chopped
50g dried cranberries, chopped
1 egg, beaten
2 tsp honey
A few sprigs of lemon thyme, leaves only
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Heat a tablespoon olive oil in a frying pan. When hot, add onion, rosemary, and a small pinch of salt and fry for 3 - 5 minutes, until onion is slightly soft. Add 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar and cook for a further 1 minute or so.
2. Add mushroom and cook until moisture from mushroom has evaporated. Add chopped chestnuts and cook until the juices are mostly absorbed by the ingredients.
3. When ready, set aside in a mixing bowl and let cool completely.
4. Add chopped cranberries, a beaten egg, breadcrumbs, honey, lemon thyme leaves, salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
5. Shape into stuffing balls of about 3 cm in diameter.6. Bake alongside chicken / meat or in a seperate lightly greased baking tray in the oven at 180C for about 30 minutes or until crispy on the outside.