I love almond brittle, it is easy to make, looks great and you can make a large quantity to share with your friends and family. In my version I have added dark chocolate to pare down the sweetness of the caramel. Enjoy! (Check out Guardian Readers' Recipe Swap: SHARED DISHES, this recipe is featured! I love the Warm brie with peppered caramel to, try it!)
100g flaked almonds
100g golden caster sugar
50g butter (plus extra for greasing)
4 tbsp water
½ tsp salt
1. Toast the flaked almonds on either a frying pan at medium heat for 3-5 minutes, or in an oven for 5 minutes until lightly golden brown. Set aside and let cool completely (otherwise they will lose their crunchiness).
2. Heat sugar, butter, water and salt gently, until sugar dissolves. Increase the heat and boil for approximately 5 minutes, or until the mixture turns lightly golden. Stir occasionally.
3. While the mixture is boiling, place the almond in a lightly greased baking tray.
4. Tip the caramel over the nuts and let it cool completely. In the meantime, melt the dark chocolate using a hot water bath. (click here for the water bath technique)
5. Tip and spread evenly the melted chocolate over the cooled and solidified caramel. Leave it to cool again.
6. Once cooled and hardened, you could either shatter the almond brittle to serve, or let everyone break a piece for themselves.